Improving the Lives of Young People Across Tyne & Wear through PE, sport and physical activity
The Tyne & Wear PE and School Sport Alliance is a group of school sport professionals that are passionate about, and determined to, see young people from across Tyne & Wear provided with high quality PE, school sport and physical activity to enrich their lives and maximise their potential.
• act as advocates for high quality PE, school sport and physical activity across Tyne & Wear
• provide leadership and strategic thinking to align PE and school sport strategies across the sub-region
• respond to, help shape, and publish Tyne & Wear-wide strategies for improving PE, school sport and physical activity provision for all young people
• promote and encourage more opportunities for young people across Tyne & Wear to take part in sport and physical activity to improve their physical and mental wellbeing.
The Alliance has the involvement and representation of a wide range of partners, including Head Teachers, the Youth Sport Trust, Tyne & Wear Sport, Local Authority Representatives, School Games Organisers and Schools North East.
To read more about the work of the Tyne & Wear PE and School Sport Alliance, including its aims, ambitions and structure, and why it is so important, please click here.
Pledge Your Support!
The Alliance have produced a pledge for schools in Tyne & Wear to sign upto, to show their support and commitment to improving the lives of all of their pupils through PE, school sport and physical activity (see below).
PE, Sport and Physical Activity Pledge for Tyne & Wear Schools
Activ8 Our Pledge
We pledge to ensure that:
· Our PE, sport and physical activity offer is inclusive and engages all pupils
· Our school encourages active and healthy lifestyles for all pupils. PE, sport, physical activity, and the social, emotional and mental health of our pupils is a priority for our school and is on our school development plan
· Our school provides 2 hours of high quality PE, sport and physical activity per pupil per week, which is delivered by a qualified teacher
· All children are encouraged to be active every day, including at least 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous intensity physical activity being provided every day during school time
· All children are provided with the opportunity to learn to swim at least 25m
· All children in our school have the opportunity to participate in intra/inter school competition, including engaging with the national School Games programme
· We provide opportunities for young people to develop outstanding leadership skills
· We use our allocated funding to focus upon developing teacher confidence and competence in PE, sport and physical activity
We are incredibly passionate about the pledge and are keen for as many schools as possible to sign up and support it. Those that sign up will receive a link to a poster to display in their schools, in addition to being able to use the alliance logo. These will be received via email within one month of signing up. To pledge your support, please can the School Headteacher complete the short form which is available here.
The Schools that have signed up (this will be refreshed monthly)
Harlow Green Community Primary School
Kells Lane Primary School
Portobello Primary School
Wardley Primary School
Burradon Community Primary School
Cullercoats Primary School
Denbigh Community Primary School
Greenfields Community Primary School
Hadrian Park Primary School
Monkhouse Primary School
Monkseaton Middle School
Wellfield Middle School
Bede Burn Primary School
Cleadon C of E Academy
East Boldon Junior School
Hadrian Primary School
Jarrow Cross C of E Primary School
Monkton Infants School
Stanhope Primary School
Albany Village Primary School
St Aidan's Catholic Academy
St Anthony's Girls Catholic Academy
If you want to discuss the work of the alliance, the specific sub-groups, or how to get involved, please contact Gavin Storey (Alliance Chair and Cullercoats Primary Head Teacher) on 0191 200 8721 or David Marrin / Claire Lee (Tyne & Wear Sport) on 0191 497 2324.