Sportivate was a national participation programme, funded by Sport England, which ran from 2011 until 2018. It provided a range of attractive, accessible and sustainable sporting activities for 11-25 year olds. It gave young people access to six week blocks of free or subsidised coaching, primarily targeting those who undertook no, or very little, exercise.
The programme was incredibly successful in Tyne & Wear. The final figures showed that approximately 26,000 young people from across the sub-region attended at least five of their six sessions, hugely exceeding the target set by Sport England. Sportivate had a significant impact on the lives of young people in Tyne & Wear and led to a large number of inactive young people becoming much more regularly active following their involvement in the programme.
Some case studies from the programme are listed below.
- Sportivate Archery Case Study 2015
- Sportivate Dance Case Study 2015
- Sportivate Dance Factory 2016
- Sportivate Benwell Victoria Girls Club 2017
- Sportivate South Tyneside College 2017
- Sportivate Sunderland Lifestyle, Activity & Food Programme 2017
- Sportivate Us Girl Do 2017